Jump to navigation Jump to search
|1½||cups all-purpose flour|
|½||cup Crisco shortening|
|2||teaspoons pickle juice|
|3-4||tablespoons ice-cold water|
- Measure flour by spooning loosely into measuring cup and leveling off with knife
- Use water displacement method to measure shortening
- Place pastry mixing bowl in refrigerator to cool before making pie filling
- Prepare pie filling
- Preheat oven according to recipe directions
- Stir together flour and salt in the chilled pastry bowl
- Add shortening and cut in with pastry blender until the flour has all changed color
- Sprinkle water, one tablespoon at a time, over flour and fold in gently with a fork. Fold in pickle juice after the second tablespoon of water. Check flour for consistency before adding final tablespoon of water. It should hold together loosely when pressed together with fingers.
- Rub some flour into the pastry cloth and rolling pin to coat them and prevent sticking
- Dump pastry onto cloth, form into a flattened ball with hands
- Roll out to 1/8” thick. Roll out spoke fashion, from the center, using light pressure. If edges split, pinch together.
- Transfer pastry to pie plate by rolling it onto rolling pin. Use pastry cloth to help start the rolling.
- Fit pastry loosely down into pie plate, filling any cracks with extra pieces taken from the overhanging edges.
- Fold the pastry under around the edge to make a double thickness and then flute the edge
- Add pie filling and bake as directed