|2||tablespoons butter, divided|
|1||egg, whisked for scrambling|
|1||medium carrot, diced|
|1||medium onion, diced|
|Pinch of kosher salt|
|1||clove garlic, minced (or more, to taste)|
|2||cups cooked and chilled rice|
|2||tablepoons soy sauce|
|1||tablespoon oyster sauce|
|1||cup frozen peas|
|1||cup cooked protein cut into ½-inch pieces (beef, check, or shrimp)|
|½||teaspoon toasted sesame oil (optional, to taste)|
|¼||teaspoon white pepper (optional, to taste)|
|3||green onions, thinly sliced|
The rice must have been cooked and then chilled before using it in fried rice. I simmer two cups of rice in 4 cups of water and then place all that in a container overnight in the refrigerator. I've kept rice up to two weeks this way.
The protein (beef, chicken, or shrimp) that you use must be pre-cooked. If not using leftovers from the refrigerator for this recipe then cook your protein in your wok with a small amount of oil before starting this recipe and set it aside.
Have all ingredients prepared and at hand before starting to cook, stir-frying in a wok goes quickly and you must keep everything constantly moving to prevent burning.
- Set wok over medium-high heat and heat ½ tablespoon of butter until bubbly. Scramble egg in butter until softly set. Remove eggs from wok and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Add ½ tablespoon of butter to wok and heat until bubbly. Stir-fry carrot in butter until it just starts to show some yellowing, indicating that it will start to caramelize soon. Do not allow it to caramelize.
- Add onions, salt, and ½ tablespoon butter to wok and continue to stir-fry until onions become translucent.
- Add garlic to wok and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add rice, ½ tablespoon of butter, soy sauce, and oyster sauce to wok and stir-fry until rice is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Add scrambled egg, peas, and protein to the wok and stir fry until everything is heated through, 2 - 3 minutes.
- Remove wok from heat.
- Optional - add white pepper and sesame oil to wok and toss to distribute evenly throughout.
- Serve rice topped with sliced green onions for garnish.