Budapesh Beef Goulash
Jump to navigation Jump to search
¼ cup shortening
1½ pounds onions, coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
1½ pounds chuck beef, cubed
1½ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 small can tomato paste
- In a heavy two-quart saucepan, heat the fat, add the onions and saute until golden brown.
- Add the beef and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the the beef loses it bright redness.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer very slowly, covered, until the beef is tender, one and one-half to two hours.
- If necessary, to prevent sticking, one-quarter cup water may be added.
The New York Times Cookbook