Beef With Peppers
1 oz dried mushrooms
1 lb beef tenderloin
2 small yellow onions
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
2½ tablespoons vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
¼ teaspoon 5 spice powder
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon granules
1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Place mushrooms in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain and squeeze dry. Remove and discard stems. Slice mushroom capsinto thin strips.
- Cut meat into thin slices 1 inch long. Cut onions into wedges. Remove seeds from peppers and cut peppers into thin slices.
- Heat vegetable oil in wok over high heat. Add garlic and 5 spice powder. Stir-fry 15 seconds.
- Add meat. Stir-fry until meat is brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions. Stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and peppers. Stir-fry until peppers and crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Combine all remaining ingredients.
- Pour mixture over meat-vegetable mixture. Cook and stir until liquid boils and thickens.
Consumer's Guide Chinese Cooking Class Cookbook