Three Bean Salad
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|½||pound green beans, trimmed, cut to bite-sized lengths|
|½||pound wax beans, trimmed, cut to bite-sized lengths|
|1||15oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained|
|½||small red onion, minced, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes and drained|
|1/3||cup cider vinegar|
|¼||cup rice vinegar|
|½||teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|1||tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley|
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Set up a large bowl of ice water. Add the fresh beans to the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Drain and plunge the beans into the ice water to stop the cooking and set their color. Drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine the beans and the onion. In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, vinegars, and salt to a simmer. Pour the liquid over the beans. Marinate the beans at room temperature for one hour, tossing several times. Just before serving, season with salt and pepper to taste, add the parsley. Serve.
- Substitute vegetable oil for the rice vinegar to make the original full-fat version of this recipe
- Add 1 can of cannellini beans and/or one can of garbanzo beans and double the marinade amount
- Substitute the marinade with one made using ½ cup rice vinegar, shaken together with a tablesppon of Dijon mustard and a minced garlic clove.
Food Network web site