Chocolate Ice Cream (Philadelphia Style)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|2||cups half-and-half, divided|
|20||grams Dutch-processed cocoa powder|
|1||cup heavy cream|
|212||grams (1 cup) sugar|
|½||teaspoons vanilla extract|
|1||pinch kosher salt|
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, whisk together 1 cup of the half-and-half and the cocoa powder until fully combined.
- Add the remaining half-and-half and heavy cream. Attach a candy or deep-fry thermometer and bring the mixture to 175 degrees F, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add the sugar and salt, and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved, then cover and steep 20 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and transfer the mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to overnight.
- Assemble your ice cream churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you're using an electric machine, turn it on, then pour in the ice cream mixture. (This will prevent seizing.)
- Churn the ice cream until it reaches soft-serve consistency and almost doubles in volume.
- Move to an airtight container and harden in the freezer for at least 2 hours before serving.