Difference between revisions of "BBQ Beef Brisket - Sous Vide"
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 14:21, 13 October 2019
|2||ounces coarsely ground black peppercorns (about 1/3 cup; 55g)|
|2¼||ounces kosher salt (about 1/4 cup; 65g)|
|¼||ounce (10g) pink salt, such as Prague Powder Curing Salt (optional)|
|1||flat cut or point cut beef brisket, about 5 lbs. (½ of a whole brisket.)|
|¼||teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)|
- Combine kosher salt, pepper and pink salt (if using) in a small bowl. Pat brisket dry with paper towels and rub all over with half of the spice mixture. Place brisket in vacuum bag and add liquid smoke (if using.) Seal bag and place in refrigerator for two hours.
- Set your sous vide cooker to 135°F (57°C.) Add brisket to water bath and cover. Cook for 60 to 72 hours at 135°F. When cooking is complete clip a small hole in one corner of the vacuum bag and drain off the juices. These can be added to your favorite barbecue sauce and simmered down to provide extra flavor. Place the brisket in the refrigerator and cool at least to room temperature before proceeding. Brisket can be stored in the refrigerator at this stage for up to 1 week before finishing.
- Finish brisket on the grill: Prepare 10 hardwood chunks by soaking them in water. Light ½ chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and arrange coals on one side of charcoal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill, and allow to preheat for 5 minutes.
- Remove brisket from bag and carefully blot dry with paper towels. Rub all over with the remaining spice mixture. Place brisket on cooler side of grill, fat cap up. Add 4 to 5 hardwood chunks to hotter side of grill. Cover and allow brisket to smoke, adjusting vents to maintain a temperature between 275 and 300°F (135 and 149°C) and adding wood chunks as needed to maintain smoke level. Smoke until internal temperature reaches 135°F (57°C.)
- Transfer brisket to a cutting board and slice against the grain into thin strips. Serve with Texas-style BBQ Sauce.